- Research Director
head of the SUMO
Laurence Dinh, +33 2 99 84 74 84
Our friend and colleague Philippe Darondeau passed away
on monday March 18, 2013.
Philippe was a wonderful researcher. His scientific
knowledge, modesty and kindness were praised by all of us.
Friendship testimonials can be placed on this page.
- distributed management of distributed systems (observation,
diagnosis, optimization, planning, ... )
- distributed discrete events systems, Petri nets, concurrency,
unfolding techniques, (distributed) stochastic systems
- Bayesian networks, graphical models of interaction, Markov
fields, iterative/turbo algorithms
- information theory and its distributed (multi-user) aspects
- autonomic management of telecommunication networks, software
candidates are always welcome !
Some recent (closed) topics, as an
indication of our research interests
Ideal profiles: master in EE or CS, with a taste for formal
If you're interested by our research domain, the distributed
monitoring of distributed systems,
do not hesitate to contact us for a custom Master or PhD topic !
Please send a resume (CV) and a motivation letter.
- TI: Information Theory and Coding,
Ecole Normale Superieure de Cachan (Ker Lann), 2nd year (=
Master 1 level)
Télécharger les notes
de cours (poly
inachevé, en Français)
Here is also a conference
given to new students at ENS Cachan, about classical and more
recent aspects of information theory.
- OPT: Introduction to Numerical and
Master in Computer
Science, 2nd year
Download the Lecture Notes,
and the slide sets of lectures
1-2 and lectures
- ASR: Introduction to Distributed
Systems and Algorithms,
Master in Computer Science,
Download the slides of lecture 1, lecture
2, lecture 3. lecture 4
- High Manageability (HiMa) : a joint research
team within the common lab of Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs France
dedicated to Self-Organizing
this team is co-headed by Pierre Peloso (ALBLF) and
Eric Fabre (INRIA); the activity of this team is now mostly
embedded into UniverSelf
- UniverSelf (European
IP, FP7) :
self-management methods for telecommunication networks ;
funded by the European Commission
Some past projects and
- DISC: Distributed
Control of Large Plants - funded by the European
Commission (STREP, FP7)
- VDT: Alarm
correlation and diagnosis in submarine line terminal
equipment - transfer contract with Alcatel R&I
- SWAN : Distributed
management of QoS in Networks and Web Services -
funded by the French Ministry of Research, Telecom Program
- MAGDA 2: Joint
monitoring of networks and end-to-end services in
heterogeneous networks - funded by the French
Ministry of Research, Telecom Program (RNRT)
- MAGDA: Modeling and
learning for a distributed management of alarms in
telecommunication networks - funded by the French
Ministry of Research, Telecom Program (RNRT)
a workshop dedicated to UnFOldings and partial order techniques
proposed as a satellite event of ATPN'07, Siedlce (Poland),
on June 26, 2007
Co-organized by the University of Newcastle and INRIA Rennes
Proceedings are available here.
Some selected papers and a
- Carole Hounkonnou, Eric Fabre, Enhanced OSPF Graceful Restart,
IM 2013, (long version, with
- Carole Hounkonnou, Eric Fabre, Empowering Self-diagnosis
with Self-modeling, CNSM 2012.
- Loig Jezequel, Eric Fabre, A# : a distributed version
of A* for factored planning, CDC 2012.
- Loig Jezequel, Eric Fabre, Networks
automata with read arcs : a tool for distributed planning,
IFAC WC 2011.
- Thomas Chatain, Eric Fabre, Factorization Properties
of Symbolic Unfoldings of Colored Petri Nets, ATPN 2010.
- Eric Fabre, Loig Jezequel, On the construction of
probabilistic diagnosers, WODES 2010.
- L. Jezequel E. Fabre, Patrik Haslum, Sylvie
Thiebaux, Cost-Optimal Factored
Planning: Promises and Pitfalls, ICAPS 2010.
- E. Fabre, L. Jezequel, Distributed
Optimal Planning: an Approach by Weighted Automata Calculus,
- A. Madalinski, E. Fabre, Modular
construction of finite and complete prefixes of Petri net
unfoldings, Fundamenta Informaticae 95, 2009.
- E. Fabre, A. Benveniste, Partial Order Techniques for
Distributed Discrete Event Systems: why you can't avoid
using them, Journal
of Discrete Events Dynamical Systems, 2007.
- E. Fabre, Trellis Processes: a Compact
Representation for Runs of Concurrent Systems, Journal of Discrete Event Dynamical
- E. Fabre, A Trellis Notion for Distributed
System Diagnosis with Sequential Semantics,
- E. Fabre, On the Construction of Pullbacks
for Safe Petri Nets, ATPN 2006.
- E. Fabre, Distributed diagnosis based on
trellis processes, CDC 2005.
- E. Fabre, A. Benveniste,
S. Haar, C. Jard, Distributed Monitoring of Concurrent
and Asynchronous Systems, Journal
of Discrete Event Systems, 2005.
- Eric Fabre, Albert Benveniste, Stefan Haar, Claude
Jard, Armen Aghasaryan, Algorithms for Distributed Fault
Management in Telecommunications Networks, ICT
- A. Benveniste, E. Fabre, C. Jard, S.
of asynchronous discrete event systems, a net unfolding
Transactions on Automatic Control, 48(5):714-727, May
- Albert Benveniste, Stefan Haar, Eric Fabre, Claude Jard, Distributed
and Asynchronous Systems, CONCUR 2003.
- A. Guyader, E. Fabre, C.
Guillemot, M. Robert. Joint source-channel turbo
decoding of entropy-coded sources. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in
Communications, SAC-19(9):1680-1696, September
- Armen Aghasaryan, Eric Fabre, Albert Benveniste,
Renee Boubour, Claude Jard, Fault
Detection and Diagnosis in Distributed Systems : An Approach
by Partially Stochastic Petri Nets, Journal of Discrete Event Systems,
- Albert Benveniste, Bernard C. Levy, Eric Fabre, Paul
Le Guernic, A Calculus of Stochastic
Systems for the Specification, Simulation, and Hidden State
Estimation of Hybrid Stochastic/Non-stochastic Systems,
LNCS 999, Hybrid Systems, 1995.
- My Habilitation (HDR) document, June 2007 :
Bayesian Networks of Dynamic
You may try this
list, automatically generated from our team data base.
and equipment for adjusting power amplification in an
optical network - European patents EP
09290408 and EP 09290409 (also US Patents) - June 2009
- Detection and optimal
correction of routing loops in a network using OSPF-like
routing protocols - European patent EP 12305306.8 -