I am a senior research scientist at Inria, in the Sirocco team.
My research interest is in compression for video streaming
. I design mathematically founded algorithms for
visual data processing
such as analysis, storage, access, and transmission.
My expertise lies in
signal and image processing, coding theory and information theory
I've been a member of INRIA since 2001. Before that I was at Princeton University and I got my PhD from the University of Cergy-Pontoise
in collaboration with Thales.
I've also visited Eurecom and UC Berkeley.
I served as a member of the French National University Council (CNU 61) from 2011 to 2015.
I serve as a member of the Inria Evaluation Committee (since Sept. 2019).
I am currently an Associate Editor for the
IEEE Transactions on Image Processing
journal (since Nov. 2018) and for the Annals of Telecommunications
(since Feb. 2016).
- [Aug 20] New journal article accepted in Annals of Telecommunications.
- [Jul 20] New journal article accepted in IEEE TMM.
- [Jun 20] New journal article accepted in IEEE T-Com.
- [Feb 20] New journal article accepted in IEEE TSIPN.
Current research activities
Image and video coding for multimedia communications
- Compression for interactive video communication.
- Learning for video compression.
- Compressed sensing, with application to coding of correlated sparse sources.
- Inverse problems (super-resolution and inpainting).
Recent research projects
- MediaKind Cifre contract on new representation for multi-profile video compression, 2020-2023. NEW NOW RECRUITING
- Ateme Cifre contract on learning and video compression, Aug. 2020-Aug. 2023. NEW
- 2 PhD contracts with Airbus on low light imaging, Sept. 2020-Oct. 2023. NEW
- ENS Grant on combinatorial and strategic aspects in information theory, Oct. 2020-Oct. 2023. NEW
- Inria Grant (ADT) for the technological development of an Interactive Coder for Omnidirectional Videos, Oct. 2020-Oct. 2022. NEW
- PI of the project Interactive video communication: project funded by the Labex CominLabs, Oct. 2016-Dec. 2020. Project website
- DGA Grant on deep learning image compression and classification, Oct. 2015- Sept.2018.
- Ericsson CIFRE projet on High Dynamic Range image/video compression, Oct. 2014- Sept.2017.
- 2 collaborations in the framework of the Joint research laboratory between INRIA and Alcatel Lucent Bell Labs, Jan. 2011-Jan. 2014.
- ANR ARSSO: Adaptable, Robust, Streaming SOlutions, Funded by ANR, Jun. 2010- Dec. 2014.
- FP7-IST NOE NEWCOM++. Network of Excellence in Wireless COMmunication, Funded by EC, Jan. 2008-Apr. 2011.
- Best Paper Award "Francesco Carassa" 2011 awarded by
(Gruppo Italiano Telecomunicazioni e Teoria dell'Informazione) for the paper "Lossy compression of distributed sparse sources: a practical scheme" by G. Coluccia, E. Magli, A. Roumy and V. Toto-Zarasoa.
- "Top 10%" paper at ICIP 2015 for the paper "Universal lossless coding with random user access: the cost of interactivity" by A. Roumy and T. Maugey.